Charlie Huveneers was our ‘Researcher in Focus’ for Issue 1. Charlies work with all species of sharks is what makes him stand out as one of the leading shark experts in Australia. He accredits his tireless passion for sharks, the many volunteer opportunities he has taken and his perseverance in following his lifes dream for the position he is in today.
Current projects that Charlie is involved in include:
- Investigation of osmoregulation of Port Jackson embryos
- Assessing the post-release survival rate and physiological stress of stingarees following trawling capture
- Testing the use of fatty acid analysis to quantify the diets of elasmobranchs
- Determining the movements and migratory patterns of mako sharks
- Quantifying the impacts of fishing on whaler sharks
He certainly is a busy man! To read the full article on how Charlie achieved his lifes dream and more on his current research, follow this link: